Monday, August 4, 2014

In which I disobey signs and attend a beautiful wedding.

The past week and a half has been a blur. I was in Toronto for pre-departure training for Ghana. Much of this centered on difficult conversations on power, privilege, gender, and development. Incredibly powerful topics in any context, and vital for the work EWB does.

For those who don't know, my work assignment has changed dramatically since I was first accepted to the Fellowship program. I will now be working with the Mobile Business Clinic. An endeavor that seeks to build management skills, leadership skills and business acumen in the middle management of agricultural businesses. My specific tasks will likely focus on monitoring and evaluation, but may include a variety of other tasks. I am excited and nervous. I will likely have a lot of self-management to do in order to be effective. Humility, patience, active listening, coaching, and shutting my mouth are just a few of the items on that list.

I should probably also learn to obey all street signs:
(I'm pretty sure the fashion police will investigate me for the myriad of faux-pas' committed by this outfit. My sincerest apologies)

After Toronto, I trained back to Montreal for a couple of days. This was a poorly timed voyage as I was on a train full of those bound for Osheaga. These individuals were wasting no time. The train sold out of alcohol within the first two hours, music was blaring, and someone even brought out a vaporizer. The party-ville destined train got me to Montreal safely and while I didn't join them at Osheaga, I did find myself in a crowd of rowdy Torontonians at a soccer match. Now my Montreal-based family will likely be mortified here, but I may have spent the match singing and dancing with the TFC supporters. 

My last stop in my North American travels was Ottawa, for the wedding of Alex Podiluk and Stephanie Kenny. It was an incredible ceremony that I am so happy I was able to attend. I have no doubt they will make good on their promise to kick ass at life together.

Next stop: Ghana



No comments:

Post a Comment